Who here has ran a 5k? Tell me your secrets.

We're called ChattyChristians.com for a reason! If you can't find a place for it anywhere else, post it here!

Postby Wesley » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:41 am

So I started running this year. I got the couch to 5k app and have been plodding through it. I've been working on it for most of the year actually, even though it's an 8 week program. I've been trying different speeds and inclines and generally learning about my own stamina, pacing, body, etc. I've found that I have a finicky right soleus muscle. I've found that the worst time for injury is in the slow down when you go from a running posture to a walking posture. I've found that stretching for even just two minutes before a run will keep you form hurting yourself (I'm brilliant!).

I've already done a 5k. Took me about 45 minutes of interval running. I was going too fast and tiring myself out too quickly. I've dialed it back and am slow running at 5MPH and going to try to stay running for 30 minutes, then increase speed a bit at a time. However, my ultimate goal is a sub-30 minute 5k. That's a steady 6.4MPH for at least 29:59. Dare I attempt a steady 7 mph 5k? Maybe.

Do you run, and if so what was your training time like? How long did it take to go from couch to 5k, to decent timed 5k? Is 1 year unreasonable to expect to get to a 25 minute 5k? 21 minute? Are there special barriers that you find you have to break like "Right around 24 minutes it's hard. Try an energy gel at the halfway mark." Or whatever.

Tell me your secrets.
Wesley
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Who here has ran a 5k? Tell me your secrets.

Postby Ethnog » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:08 pm

Personally, I think you will increase speed with intervals but take your time. You will reach those numbers. I noticed since I've been lifting heavier I have been able to run longer at a higher speed than I used too.
Don't rush into it, take the time and always do cross training. Don't get injured like me!!! Rest.
Get breathing under control. You should be able to sing while running. Not every word but enough that you realize your breath is under control.
And don't drink a lot of water during your run. Sips every mile. I don't drink any water now until the 3rd mile. If you hydrate all day you won't need too. Of course I say this if you don't live in a climate that's over 85-90 degrees consently.

*buy a foam roller*

Oh and don't take energy gels for a 5k. Have one for a 10k and higher miles.
I recommend taking amino energy before a run and it will give you that boost.
Lift like a man; look like a goodness.
Ethnog

Postby Wesley » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:03 pm

Ethnog wrote:Personally, I think you will increase speed with intervals but take your time. You will reach those numbers. I noticed since I've been lifting heavier I have been able to run longer at a higher speed than I used too.

Interesting. I took such a long leave from lifting that I've lost most of my gains. I've been trying to at least get into leg days again. Leg day or nothing! =)

Ethnog wrote:Don't get injured like me!!! Rest.

Uh oh, what got hurt? Seems like my calves are the weakest link for me. Do you run every day? I've been running pretty much every day. Or at least 5 days a week.

Ethnog wrote:Get breathing under control. You should be able to sing while running. Not every word but enough that you realize your breath is under control.

Okay now, that's not my experience yet. I can't do much but pant. I think I'm way less cardiovascularly fit than I look.

Ethnog wrote:And don't drink a lot of water during your run. Sips every mile. I don't drink any water now until the 3rd mile. If you hydrate all day you won't need too. Of course I say this if you don't live in a climate that's over 85-90 degrees consently.

Yeah I'm a good water drinker. I usually drink a gallon a day just as a norm. Although note that I don't run outside. I do treadmill only so I can very tightly control my speed and also not worry about sharing the road with anyone or any thing. Inside of the house is reasonably cool, so less water to worry about while running.

Ethnog wrote:*buy a foam roller*

I have a bead roller, if that's good enough.

Ethnog wrote:Oh and don't take energy gels for a 5k. Have one for a 10k and higher miles.
I recommend taking amino energy before a run and it will give you that boost.

I'm seeing people on running forums and whatnot that say "Hey, I'm a beginner and hardly trained and did a 60 minute 10k" and I'm thinking... am I just a failure of a human being? :lol: A 30 minute 5k is like three months away if I focus hard, and these people show up, stretch and hammer out a 60 minute 10k. And amateurs that have been running for a few years sniff at a 40 minute 10k. I dunno what to say. I think I really am less fit than I look. :roll:
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Ethnog » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:23 pm

I have plantar fasciitis. I couldn't workout for nearly a month because I simply could not walk much less workout. I'm in the healing stage. It can take up to a year and if I don't take care of myself it will be a chronic pain. Thankfully, x-Rays showed I don't have any fractures so it's only the legament torn into micro-pieces.

Some people have more endurance than others. Personally, I believe that genetics but you have to build it by doing HIIT.
I don't recommenr running that much everyday or you will get hurt. Run 3 days a week and 2 days of cross training. It will save you headache and lots of pain later on. Increase your miles by 10% each week. You have to get your legs strong enough to withstand the force of the ground and your upper body to balance the strength.

And no get a foam roller. It will help you a lot! More than a lot. It's painful but it takes out all the knots.
I had a muscle spams yesterday. With the foam roller, stretching, and tiger balm I feel so much better today.
Ethnog

Postby Wesley » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:54 am

Ethnog wrote:I have plantar fasciitis. I couldn't workout for nearly a month because I simply could not walk much less workout. I'm in the healing stage. It can take up to a year and if I don't take care of myself it will be a chronic pain. Thankfully, x-Rays showed I don't have any fractures so it's only the legament torn into micro-pieces.

Ouch! I forgot about that. Yeah that would limit your running for sure. :x

Ethnog wrote:And no get a foam roller. It will help you a lot! More than a lot. It's painful but it takes out all the knots.
I had a muscle spams yesterday. With the foam roller, stretching, and tiger balm I feel so much better today.

Huh, alright. I've got to get to a athletic store to get some olympic dumbell handles so maybe I'll look for a foam roller too.

What shoes have you found that work well? I originally starting running in cross trainers. Big mistake. I then did some research and bought some ASICS Kayano 19s and it was a life changing experience. :lol: I knew shoes were important, but had no idea that difference purpose built runners would make. My feet are the least of my concerns now. I'm thinking of trying the Kayano 20 or 21 next, but always curious to hear about others' experiences.
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Ethnog » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:28 am

Order it from Amazon it will be cheaper.

I run in Nike Free 5.0. Today I found ASICS for 40 dollars but they are older versions. They just didn't have my size. I think I will look again and try those instead, see how my feet can handle them.
Ethnog

Postby Toro » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:02 am

Ethie's true secret to her runs is, me.... chasing her on a segway.... :D

Like she will ever get rid of me.

I don't see how you guys do it. I can run forever and a day wearing steel toed boots in air conditioning, but outside.... I run 2 feet in running shoes, Im done for.
Toro

Postby Ethnog » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:56 am

Wes, I've been wearing the new ASICS I got. It's an older version, I got it for 57 on sale (love sales). I was able to break them in easily and it feels wonderful on my feet. I'm so glad I got them and broke from the Nikes. I think they help my feet a lot more.

I also bought another insole for my PT so I can wear them with my regular shoes. I haven't been running a lot but *knock on wood* my foot has been feeling better.
Ethnog

Postby Wesley » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:27 pm

I was wondering if I was just easily impressed or if the first pair of legit running shoes I happened to buy were just that good. I've probably put a couple hundred miles on them and they've felt exactly as good for each one. Is nice. I like.
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Wesley » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:30 am

Back to running after some absence. Trying to stay at 5mph for 30 minutes. So far... I'm doing better than I was when I left running a month ago or so. I dunno what it is, but I think the long rest helped... maybe? That just sounds wrong.
Wesley
Site Admin

Next

Return to Chat Lounge