share a recipe

We're called ChattyChristians.com for a reason! If you can't find a place for it anywhere else, post it here!

share a recipe

Postby little_tigress » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:44 am

I heart recipes. One of the nicest gifts someone can give me is a recipe book. It's actually a little sad how happy it makes me when that happens.

So yeah. Share your favourite recipes here. I want to see what you're experimenting with :D
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

share a recipe

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: share a recipe

Postby Wesley » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:26 am

Okay, well, here's my ginger tea recipe, which isn't much but at least it's something:

• Acquire raw ginger root.
  • Wash thoroughly. You can peel it if you want, using a potato peeler, but I don't anymore. I can't tell a difference in taste and it's less work to not peel.
  • Weigh out 2 ounces of raw ginger root per 12 ounces cups that you'd like to prepare.
  • Grate ginger through a cheese grater so it's shredded to strips and bits.
  • Place ginger in some kind of receptacle. I grate it straight into a big Pyrex glass.
  • Bring water to a hard boil in another container. I just microwave it in another Pyrex dish.
  • Once it's boiling, then pour it into the container that has the shredded ginger.
  • Tent the container with the ginger using foil to keep the heat in and let it steep for 10 minutes.
  • At the end of ten minutes, pour through a mesh strainer into another container. Squeeze the shreds as you like.
  • I like a teaspoon of sugar per cup, but I'm hoping to experiment with honey and lemon too.

This ginger tea is spicy, strong, and very good for sick stomachs, motion sickness, and digestion in general. Beware that if you're not used to it, it might take a few servings before thy innards stop roiling. Like I said... it's good for "digestion." That effect passes after a few servings though. :roll:
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby little_tigress » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:53 pm

I still need to buy some ginger so I can try that.

This is a recipe I haven't tried yet but plan to as soon as I pick up some agave nectar. I got it out of my raw foods cookbook, but unprocessed peanut butter and agave nectar might be hard to come by. So I just put the raw qualifier in parentheses.

Peanut butter cacao banana oatmeal
·1cup nut milk
·1/2 cup (gluten free) oats
·2 tsp raw cacao powder
·1 TBS chia seeds
·2 TBS (raw) peanut butter
·1 ripe banana, mashed
·2 TBS (raw) agave nectar

Combine all ingredients and set aside for an hour or over night. Add any favourite toppings like raisins or berries.
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
little_tigress

Postby Wesley » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:15 pm

I want to get into crock pot cooking more. Some of my favorite dishes from my mother are crock pot dishes.
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby little_tigress » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:45 pm

A slow cooker is definitely on my list of things to get. It'd be nice to just throw something together and have it ready and waiting for me when I get home from work. Because usually the last thing I feel like doing at that point is cooking. I've started cooking my meals for the week on the weekend instead.
little_tigress

Postby little_tigress » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:18 am

This is what I made last week. It is delicious.

Hot Three-Bean Casserole

2 TBS Olive oil
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 15oz. Can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
1 15oz can kidney beans, rinsed & drained
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1-2 jalapeno peppers, minced
1 TBS chilli powder
2tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1 dried oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 1/2 cups frozen cut beans

1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and garlic. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes or until tender.

2. Add chickpeas, kidney beans, tomato, tomato sauce, water, jalapeno pepper, chilli powder, cumin, salt, oregano, and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Add green beans. Simmer for 10 minutes
little_tigress

Postby Wesley » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:35 am

The best recipes are the ones that also re-heat two or three times even better than the first night. :D
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby little_tigress » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:24 pm

little_tigress wrote:I still need to buy some ginger so I can try that.

This is a recipe I haven't tried yet but plan to as soon as I pick up some agave nectar. I got it out of my raw foods cookbook, but unprocessed peanut butter and agave nectar might be hard to come by. So I just put the raw qualifier in parentheses.

Peanut butter cacao banana oatmeal
·1cup nut milk
·1/2 cup (gluten free) oats
·2 tsp raw cacao powder
·1 TBS chia seeds
·2 TBS (raw) peanut butter
·1 ripe banana, mashed
·2 TBS (raw) agave nectar

Combine all ingredients and set aside for an hour or over night. Add any favourite toppings like raisins or berries.

I tried this today. I swapped out a few things though. I didn't have cacao, so I used cocoa, and I used processed peanut butter. And I couldn't find agave nectar, so I used stevia to sweeten it a bit more.

It was teh yummeh.
little_tigress

Postby mina » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:19 am

I made this last week and it was glorious.

Scallops with Rosemary Butter Sauce
Serves 2

4 large scallops
salt and ground pepper
2 tbsp oil
1 small shallot, finely minced
1/4 cup white wine
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced

1. Using paper towels, pat the scallops to remove excess water. Season on each side with salt and pepper.
2. Add the oil to a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook the scallops on each side for 2 to 3 minutes undisturbed. Remove to a serving dish.
3. Lower the heat and add the shallots. Cook for 2 minutes until softened. Add the white wine and stir well to pick up any caramelized bits at the bottom of the skillet. Stir in the butter and chopped rosemary. Pour the sauce of the cooked scallops to serve.
mina

Postby Wesley » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:49 pm

mina wrote:I made this last week and it was glorious.

Scallops with Rosemary Butter Sauce

I could live on nothing but seafood, and scallops are the ribeye steaks of seafood. :D
Wesley
Site Admin

Next

Return to Chat Lounge