In the Beginning...

Have insights that you'd like to share? Post your lessons here!

In the Beginning...

Postby Zombie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:59 pm

In the Beginning

I have always thought that Genesis 1:1 is a mind-blowing statement for humanity.

Genesis 1:1 wrote:In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

My parents live in a rural area of Colorado, where the sky is clear and the stars shine brightly. From my apartment in the city, I can see a few dozen stars in the sky, but from my parents' front porch, there are literally millions of diamonds in the black velvet, burning through their lifespans from millions of miles away for our pleasure and benefit. It all seems so still from such a distance, but the night sky is exceptionally busy. It's a cycle of life and death that shows us this simple truth: there is a beginning, and from that beginning, each created thing has life to endure.

There was a beginning to all of creation, and it was in fact created, by God. We don't know if or when God came into being or self-awareness, and none of that matters. God created the Universe, the night sky, the atmosphere, and the space between the surface of that atmosphere and the soil--Earth. To know that God is out there, and that each piece was placed for us--that's really something to me. Maybe it's just me, but the vast realm of outer space does not make me feel small. It is a cosmic-sized hug from the Almighty Creator, like a proud child giving His fingerpainting to us so our lives can be enriched.

Yes, we may be small, but if the Universe in all its majesty was created for our pleasure so that God may revel in our enjoyment of it--and in our awe of Him--we are significant. God created this amazing theater for us, and--as the documentary The Privileged Planet shows--He then created the best seat in the house for us.

What a mighty God we serve, indeed.
Zombie

In the Beginning...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: In the Beginning...

Postby Zombie » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:51 am

Genesis 1:2 wrote:The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

My Aunt Barbara died today, after a life of struggling with complications from anorexia. At the end of her life, she had lost so much weight that she was--in a sense--without form, and void. I think it is interesting that God knows us even before we are born (Jeremiah 1:5), when we are "without form, and void," and we are created in a world of darkness within the womb. So the world began, and so we began--and so it was for Adam, who God knew before He created him. Yet, God is there, even when we aren't, and even when we are wasting away. My Aunt did not live a productive life in her later years, and her family was met with misfortune time and time again. I do not know why God willed that life was that way for her, but He still had a purpose.

Even in our darkest moments, we are not forgotten. We are known, and God is around us, hovering over us, watching and asking us to respond to Him. I thank God that my Aunt did not die a spiritual death, but went to be with God after she died. That alone is enough. Even if we are only given mere moments of life, or a life long enough to make the choice to follow God, then we are born here on Earth--a place of significance as I pointed out from Genesis 1:1--and so we are significant. We matter to God, and God is with us, regardless of the darkness around us or how much we waste away in these physical bodies.
Last edited by Zombie on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zombie

Postby little_tigress » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:55 am

I am so sorry for your loss, but I'm glad that she knew Christ. As hard as I know it is for her loved ones who have been left behind, she is in the best place she could possibly be. with her God.
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby Zombie » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:04 am

little_tigress wrote:I am so sorry for your loss, but I'm glad that she knew Christ. As hard as I know it is for her loved ones who have been left behind, she is in the best place she could possibly be. with her God.

Thank you. I did not expect her death to affect me as much as it has, but it is comforting to know that she's passed on from this life to an eternally blissful one.

"When I Get Where I'm Going" by Brad Paisley
Zombie

Postby little_tigress » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:18 pm

Also I didn't mention before - thank you for posting your own devotional and insights. Its pretty cool that you're starting right at the beginning in Genesis :)
❥ ~❥~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥ ~ ❥
Qu'ils sont beaux sur les montagnes, Les pieds de celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie la paix! De celui qui apporte de bonnes nouvelles, Qui publie le salut! De celui qui dit à Sion: ton Dieu règne!
Ésaïe 52:7
little_tigress

Postby Zombie » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:46 pm

little_tigress wrote:Also I didn't mention before - thank you for posting your own devotional and insights. Its pretty cool that you're starting right at the beginning in Genesis :)

Sure thing. I figure I'll do a verse or a few verses as I have time, with the hopes of going all the way through most of the books (Numbers would be a bit arduous, though). :lol:
Zombie

Postby Zombie » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:14 am

I'm putting a "place marker" here so I won't forget to share my thoughts on the next few verses of Genesis tomorrow (er, later today) when I wake up. I started to write them here tonight, but I'm just too doggone tired.
Zombie

Postby Edwards1984 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:46 pm

I recall hearing a Phil Nicholson sermon where he mentioned someone who was asked, on the news, what the most controversial verse in the Bible is. Of all the ones possible, he chose Genesis 1:1. His reason? All that it implies if it's true.
"And how the Lord has a little left me, how weak do I find myself! O, let it teach me to depend less on myself, to be more humble, and to give more of the praise of my ability to Jesus Christ." Jonathan Edwards (from his journal)
Edwards1984

Postby Wesley » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:10 pm

Edwards1984 wrote:I recall hearing a Phil Nicholson sermon where he mentioned someone who was asked, on the news, what the most controversial verse in the Bible is. Of all the ones possible, he chose Genesis 1:1. His reason? All that it implies if it's true.

Very insightful - people can pick out all the other verses that are more or less controversial, but it all hinges on 1) God existing, and 2) God actively creating and retaining ownership of the created. If those things aren't true, anything of any controversy can be ignored.

So when do the fireworks begin in here concerning six literal 24 hour earth day creation vs. various forms of long age interpretations? :o :lol:

(Disclaimer: I've worked at two creation ministries in the last seven years. Also, I know that wasn't the point of the thread, so I'll say no more about it. :P )
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Zombie » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:14 pm

Wesley wrote:
Edwards1984 wrote:I recall hearing a Phil Nicholson sermon where he mentioned someone who was asked, on the news, what the most controversial verse in the Bible is. Of all the ones possible, he chose Genesis 1:1. His reason? All that it implies if it's true.

Very insightful - people can pick out all the other verses that are more or less controversial, but it all hinges on 1) God existing, and 2) God actively creating and retaining ownership of the created. If those things aren't true, anything of any controversy can be ignored.

So when do the fireworks begin in here concerning six literal 24 hour earth day creation vs. various forms of long age interpretations? :o :lol:

(Disclaimer: I've worked at two creation ministries in the last seven years. Also, I know that wasn't the point of the thread, so I'll say no more about it. :P )

I appreciate your thoughts, as well as the disclaimer. If someone wants to question my thoughts, I welcome such things so long as they are done respectfully. :)
Zombie

Next

Return to Devotions