Preferred Devotionals?

Have insights that you'd like to share? Post your lessons here!

Preferred Devotionals?

Postby Marycita » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:15 am

In our discipleship group this Sunday, there was a lot of talk about different devotionals. I was honestly surprised that I was the only one who didn't actually utilize one. I love to read and do a good bit (or maybe it's not really all that much) of reading edifying works, but I've never been good about keeping up with a devotional. Most of the reading I do is more outside of my "devotional" time. Any who, the conversation made me ponder giving it another try, as they mentioned devotionals that sounded worth a read.

So it made me wonder, do y'all use devotionals? Which ones are your favorite and why? And just out of curiosity, why do you use them, or why don't you use them?
Marycita

Preferred Devotionals?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Preferred Devotionals?

Postby FLGator_Chicky » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:29 am

I tend to lean towards e-devotionals. I usually try to get up before my kids, make my coffee and read my devotional, then check emails and surf FB, etc. I really like the Proverbs 31 Ministries e-devotional. They just typically really speak to me and/or a situation I am experiencing at the moment.
FLGator_Chicky

Postby Ethnog » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:43 am

I read devotionals that I have signed up for through my email each morning. I would do it more when I had time but now that I am up by 5 its hard so I end up reading them after I go to sleep.

I read the "Girlfriends in God" its sent to my email.
Lift like a man; look like a goodness.
Ethnog

Postby mina » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:49 am

Sometimes I use devotionals; sometimes I don't and just read the bible on my own. I like my utmost for His highest and Jesus Calling, but I have others as well. I have one about marriage that I got as a wedding gift, but since it's been packed up and moved twice I have no idea where it is. But I want to find it. If I'm doing a study with a group I'll use the material provided each week.
mina

Postby Wren » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:42 pm

I have a little devotional book called Experiencing God Day by Day, which I really like. It has a bible verse and then a short message (with other bible verses mentioned inside). The length is good for me, since I don't have much time most mornings for for long devotional readings and the messages are good. I'm glad to see this thread because I've been wanting to know some good devotionals (and get another one for at night), in addition to Christian non-fiction in general.
Wren

Postby Edwards1984 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:21 pm

I've never been fond of devotionals. I know a lot of them are good, and there are some decent ones out there, but a lot of the stuff widely available falls into the error of therapeutic theology, where it takes a Bible verse and abuses the context to give another "God just wants you to be happy and have a nice day!" message.

Then there are the ones that shall remain nameless which claim to literally come from God. Those I avoid like the plague.
"And how the Lord has a little left me, how weak do I find myself! O, let it teach me to depend less on myself, to be more humble, and to give more of the praise of my ability to Jesus Christ." Jonathan Edwards (from his journal)
Edwards1984

Postby Wesley » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:01 pm

Edwards1984 wrote:Then there are the ones that shall remain nameless which claim to literally come from God. Those I avoid like the plague.

You have a new alert from Facebook! God has a message for you!
Wesley
Site Admin

Postby Edwards1984 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:08 am

Wesley wrote:
Edwards1984 wrote:Then there are the ones that shall remain nameless which claim to literally come from God. Those I avoid like the plague.

You have a new alert from Facebook! God has a message for you!

I've seen those before. They're also in print form.
"And how the Lord has a little left me, how weak do I find myself! O, let it teach me to depend less on myself, to be more humble, and to give more of the praise of my ability to Jesus Christ." Jonathan Edwards (from his journal)
Edwards1984

Postby Heather » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:11 am

I think I'm the only one who hasn't given much (any) thought to devotionals. I just didn't know they existed until Jesus Calling was given to me as a gift. I would LOVE to hear of some more!
She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. - Proverbs 31:25
Heather

Return to Devotions